Thursday, April 23, 2015

Something missing

Changing countries a lot inevitably makes you loose friends. Of course you also gain some, but I would say that in the long run you will be in the negative.

I have gotten used to the idea - but there are a few people that it hurts to think about.
A few people I wish I wouldn't have lost contact with, a few people I wish I could pick up the phone to call - or better yet go over for a glass of wine and talk the night away.

Someone once told me that if you haven't heard from the person for over 1 and a half you are no longer considered friends.
Pretty sound words, if you ask me.

I have to admit. I am not the best at keeping in touch. I am much better at being a friend when we live in the same city - and sometimes not even that.

I'd like to say:
I am sorry.

I probably miss you - talking to you, sharing experiences and laughing.

It was good times.

Being an expat is lonely at times. Superficially you meet a lot of people, but to fulfill your need for closeness (friendly) and sharing secrets or more private problems - you are pretty much on your own.

I shouldn't complain though. I have met a few great people here in Mexico.
Hopefully we will continue 'being friends'.
But as I said, sometimes my mind slips to those close talks we had in my apartment in Paris.
To those walks along the Themes in London.
To the bus rides to high school or to those talks looking over the pacific in Panama.

People you considered family or close friends disappearing - most of the time life passes by so fast you do not even notice, but then something makes you think about them and it hurts - missing them hurts.

No comments:

Post a Comment