Friday, September 24, 2010

To be an adult...

What does it mean to be an adult?
- Do you become one at a specific age?
- Are you an adult when you have a stable job and a good career?

How do you know?

If it would be at a specific age, then at what exact age?

18 - the age when, according to our governments, we can make a decision about who can run a country?!
** Proven wrong by many countries, the latest Sweden, where it seems like 5.7% of the population should be emancipated.

20 - When you in Sweden can start buying alcohol?
** Proven wrong in any bar or night club in Sweden on a Friday or Saturday night.

25 - When according to many countries you count as an adult, and no longer a "youth"
** I am 25, and I wouldn't count myself as an adult.

30+ - By this time most people have settled down, families, work, etc.
** I know quite a few 30+ people that aren't. Some are open about it, some are not. But most of them, I've seen working as a bartender... that is not adult behaviour.

But then, what is adult behaviour?

Standing up for your actions?
Admitting to being/doing wrong?
Understanding other people's feelings?
Accepting people's differences and flaws?

I would say that all of those should count for anyone of any age.
I am not saying that I do that all the time; that I manage to admit to being wrong straight away, or to accept someone's flaw (going back to those 5,7% of Swedes).
But I still think that I am on a good way to being an adult.
I am in no rush.
Although, for me, being an adult does not mean that one should stop having fun, discovering new things, and experiencing new cultures... without having to justify it to anyone.

I feel that an adult should be able to see a situation as a whole, being able to see what might not be clearly visible, and to be able put the bad behind, and move towards something better and improved.
A person I very much dislike once told me:
In order to make it to the future, you have to move forward from the past. 
And although, I at the time felt this was bullshit, it is very much true.
Whatever it implies... moving towards something better and improved is the way to go.

I have a tendency to stay in the past... going through all the bad things that have happened to me over and over again.
That has never led to anything but tears and anxiety.
And tears and anxiety sucks! (;

Anywho, this was my angry post of this half of the year... there tend to be one every 6 months or so.

I hope you all have an awesome day tomorrow, and that Nastia manages to find what was lost!

Bisous

No comments:

Post a Comment